Welcome

Welcome to my blogsite. It is called Aquarius after my zodiac sign. One thing that caught my attention is Mary's invitation to have the incentive to brag and show off some tech skills that I will be acquiring once I finish doing the 23 things. I intend to do just that - organize and document the thousands of photographs I have accumulated over time through travels here and abroad. One of my hobbies is scrapbooking but I have not done it for a couple of years now, so the photographs have piled up. I think to continue doing it manually now will take me forever to organize them, so I have no recourse but go electronic. Way to go Web 2.0!

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Google Docs

One of the most difficult thing for me is getting started - whatever the activity is. For the discovery exercise on Thing 11, this is what I want to share - how do you keep usernames and passwords safe and easily accessible. I want to ask fellow MCPV bloggers, how do you keep your passwords organized? With all the accounts were signing up, it's hard to keep up with which password I used for what account. Right now, I am just storing them in excel in my H drive in our MCPV account. How do you manage yours? Maybe Google Docs is the answer.

7 comments:

Knowledge Nomad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Knowledge Nomad said...

You raise an important issue. The plethora of usernames and passwords is definitely a big hassle. Figuring out a good way to manage this has been on my "to do" list for far too long. In any case, I would advise against using GDocs for this purpose. In fact, I would not post any sensitive info or docs to GDocs. Just not secure enough. The service is very good for a simple file transfer/storage or collaboration of non-sensitive docs.

To solve the username/password management problem, one application I've read positive things about (but still have not tried myself) is . Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried it or has other suggestions.

McMillan said...

Great job on posting your document and sharing. I also find keeping track of numerous passwords very annoying, however I agree with Darren about not using Google Docs for this purpose. What has worked for me is to simply limit the variations of passwords that I use. For example, I have three different usernames and passwords that I use regularly so I know that it is going to be at least one of them. By doing this, I do not ever feel the need to write down my account information and risk having it discovered.

Eileen V said...

I struggle with the name and password element as well. And then run into even more problems between home and work accounts - trying to remember who I was when I signed up. But recently I have been trying to use just slight variations of the password so I can usually get to it after 2 or 3 attempts. Great question and great forum for feedback/new ideas.

Aquarius said...

To Mary, Darren, & Eileen, thanks for your tips. I got into a lengthier discussion with Mary about this and I like her idea which is similar to Eileen's, to limit the variations of passwords. I looked at keepass, Darren and when I saw that there will be downloading involved, it just turned me off. However, let me know once you have tried it, if it's something that's worth investing our time in.

Melissa Wong said...

I use the same strategy as Mary -- I have a limted number of passwords and I use variations on them. To keep things more organized, I have a work password for Marymount, a password for all my UIUC apps, and a few passwords for public sites like Google. I'm also careful to keep my email and password for Amazon, where I have credit card data and a work account, different from any other account.

McMillan said...

Another tip when choosing your password is to include a number or symbol within the word. It makes it more secure, and also alleviates the problem of having to come up with yet another password when you register at a website that already has this number/symbol requirement