Welcome

Welcome to my blogsite. It is called Aquarius after my zodiac sign. One thing that caught my attention is Mary's invitation to have the incentive to brag and show off some tech skills that I will be acquiring once I finish doing the 23 things. I intend to do just that - organize and document the thousands of photographs I have accumulated over time through travels here and abroad. One of my hobbies is scrapbooking but I have not done it for a couple of years now, so the photographs have piled up. I think to continue doing it manually now will take me forever to organize them, so I have no recourse but go electronic. Way to go Web 2.0!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Wikis

After two weeks of being absent in the blogging scene, I am trying to catch up. Wikis - I am ambivalent about a lot of things in Web 2.0 and wikis is one of them. Wikis are in constant state of instability, entries are unpolished, validity and reliability are absent. They say that wikis are chaotic and I don’t accept chaos most of the time, but being in a territory where change is constant and new technologies are an everyday occurrence, I will have to accept it. I have to remember that I don’t render service for myself but for a particular type of clientele and their needs and satisfaction are my foremost concerns. These feelings stem most likely from ignorance and fear since my experience with wikis range from little to zero. I am not discounting the fact that once I learn the intricacies of creating, editing, and maintaining wikis, I might change my mind. I am looking forward to that.

1 comment:

McMillan said...

Working with wikis can be one of the more challenging "things" to learn during this program. Especially in the management of them, where it is necessary to consider the flow of information and the ways in which links to pages should be organized to make it efficient for the user to access the needed information.

I think when creating a wiki it becomes important to plan and document the desired structure of the sight prior to adding the content into the wiki software.

Glad you are back to your blogging.